So, why 'pleasant places'? Let me explain the name.
If I could pick what verses have shaped my life the most in the last few years, it would without a doubt be Psalm 16 (just ask my dearest friends - I talk about it often!). You should read the whole chapter if you can. I will just share a few verses here.
"The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot. The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance. I bless the Lord who gives me counsel; in the night also my heart instructs me. I have set the Lord always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken...You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore."
I love the rich imagery here - portion, lot, lines, inheritance. When I think about it being within the Old Testament, I see the deep trust of the writer because their entire livelihood was based upon their inheritance which was their lot (land) and their boundary lines. It was a BIG deal. There is this deep sense of satisfaction with the Lord and His provision. To me, there is this call to contentment with the circumstances of one's life trusting that they have been providentially established and ordered. My natural inclination is utterly opposed to this. I focus on what I do not possess; I plan for the future and forget the present; and I compare to others' circumstances or stage of life. But He who holds my lot is the King of the Universe. He is trustworthy and these presents days are pleasant places found in 'the lines' that He has chosen for me. And really, these pleasant places (v. 6) are just a taste of the pleasures forevermore (v.11). This will continue into fullness in what is to come which is more of God's presence.

::my current pleasant place::

I think I should read this Psalm daily, and then read this post too. Very encouraging and I need to be reminded of that often!!!
ReplyDelete